In order to cover all bases I've made a list of things to do before the day, some of which I've actually managed to do! These are:
- Send invitations and make sure you chase up replies (check)
- Buy party decorations, cake, partyware, balloons etc (check)
- Decide what to do with the children! I have a list of party games to play, but have yet to wrap the presents for pass-the-parcel - may leave that until tonight - a glass of wine will ease the pain - I'm a terrible wrapper!
- Buy and prepare party food! Well, it's been bought, and just needs preparing in the morning. There are already 2 jellies setting in the fridge (courtesy of Oliver's very domesticated Dad!).
- Print out colouring sheets so the kids have a quiet activity to do - not yet done, but that won't take long.
- Sort out the party bags! I decided to go for the personalised printed cotton tote bags and once I'd taken way too long to decide which character for which child, it was lovely to actually print some out for my own party! Filling them wasn't a problem, as I have a rather large stock cupboard, so the only thing I had to stop myself from doing was putting too much in them! Here's a picture of Oliver and his older brother Adam, with some of the bags.
So we're almost there....just have to decorate the room, do the food, and a few other bits, and we'll be bracing ourselves for the onslaught of a band of excited 5 and 6 yr olds! What could possible go wrong?